Hailstorms can damage your property and leave you with costly repairs. As lawyers who help policyholders with property damage claims, we know how frustrating it can be to deal with insurance companies after a hailstorm.
Let’s unpack what you need to know in order to get the most money out of your claim for repairs.
Understanding Insurance Coverage:
- Read your policy: Start by reading your insurance policy carefully. Look for words like “hailstorm” or “wind-driven rain” to see what’s covered.
- Coverage for your home: Most homeowners’ insurance policies cover hail damage to your house, including the roof, siding, windows, and outside parts. But there may be limits and deductibles, so it’s important to know what your policy says.
- Coverage for your things: Hailstorms can also damage your belongings, like outdoor furniture or vehicles. Your policy might cover these items, too. Check the limits and deductibles.
Filing a Claim:
- Take pictures: After a hailstorm, take lots of pictures to show the damage. This will help when you file your claim.
- Call your insurance company: Let your insurance company know about the hail damage as soon as possible. Give them all the details and be ready to answer questions. Write down the names of the people you talk to and when you talked to them.
- Get help if needed: It’s important to know that insurance companies are in the business of denying claims. That’s how they keep their profits from policyholders. So, talking to a lawyer at Flores & Pelaez-Prada is crucial to ensuring your rights are protected. We can also help if you need to negotiate with the insurance company.
Navigating the Claims Process:
- Get estimates: Ask a few different contractors or repair professionals to give you estimates for the repairs. This will help you understand how much it will cost to fix everything. You can use these estimates when talking to your insurance company.
- Be careful with repairs: Don’t make permanent repairs or throw away damaged things until your insurance company has seen them. If you need to make temporary repairs for safety, take pictures and keep the receipts.
- Look at the settlement offer: After the insurance company looks at your claim, they will offer you a settlement. Read it carefully and talk to our lawyers to make sure it covers all the damage and meets your needs.
Dealing with a hailstorm and the insurance claims process can be tough. But by understanding your insurance coverage, taking pictures of the damage, and getting help if needed, you can increase your chances of getting the money you need.
If you’re having trouble with your insurance company, don’t hesitate to ask for help. Together, we can fix your property and make things right.
We’re available 24/7 at (855)786-7674.