Wildfires are dangerous and can damage homes. As a law firm that helps people with insurance claims, we want to share some important things you should know.
Understanding Your Insurance:
You should know about your home insurance policy before a wildfire happens. Here are some important things to remember:
- Enough Coverage: Make sure your policy can pay for rebuilding or repairing your home if it gets damaged by fire. Talk to your insurance agent to find out how much coverage you need.
- Replacement Cost: It’s better to have replacement cost coverage. It pays for the full cost of fixing or replacing things without considering how old they are.
- Living Expenses: Check if your policy covers the cost of living somewhere else while your home is being repaired.
- Valuable Items: If you have valuable things like jewelry or art, you might need extra insurance for them.
Preventing Fire Damage:
There are things you can do to protect your home from wildfires. Follow these tips:
- Clear Space: Get rid of dry plants, bushes, and other things that can catch fire near your home. Keep trees and shrubs a good distance away from your house.
- Safe Plants: Choose plants that don’t burn easily for your garden. Ask local experts for recommendations.
- Safe Roofing: Use materials that don’t catch fire easily for your roof. Metal, tile, or special shingles are good options.
- Barriers: Create barriers around your home using non-flammable materials like gravel or concrete. This helps keep fire away.
To keep your home safe from wildfires, you need to understand your insurance and take preventive measures. Know your policy, get enough coverage, and protect your valuable items. Clear space around your home, use fire-resistant plants, and safe roofing materials.
Having a plan to protect your property is important! If a wildfire damages your home, give Flores & Pelaez-Prada, PLLC a call and we can help you with your insurance claim. Stay safe and prepared!